Thousands marched through Dublin city centre on Saturday demanding an end to the housing and homelessness crisis.The demonstration was called by the National Homeless and Housing Coalition, which is supported by trade unions, political parties, and civil society organisations.
Its demands were:
- Declare the housing and homelessness crisis an emergency
- Provide a minimum of 10,000 public houses a year. No to privatisaion – Build houses on public land.
- Make housing a constitutional right.
- End evictions, bank repossessions and sell off to vulture funds.
- Legislate for real security of tenure, real rent control and affordable rents.
- End B&B and hotel emergency accommodation. Improve emergency accommodation facilities and security for all in Ireland.
Damien Dempsey and Stephen Wall performed at the end of the rally.